Sunday, April 1, 2012

April (New) Tools Day!

I'm still trying to get a feel for how often this thing should update, so I can say "Updates once a week!" and mean it. This seems like an important kink to work out before I take any big steps, like telling anyone about it.

Yesterday was my birthday, and the roommate, misjudging just how good I am at being an actual artist and not just a doodle-queen extraordinaire, bought me a HUUUUGE tablet! I mean GAIS. This thing is immense, replete with bells and whistles, and is now my second favorite thing ever (first favorite being the e-reader; I bemoaned the loss of tangible books and sensory deprivation when turning a page no longer brings that musty smell or that crisp turning sound... and then the Borders down the way from us closed down. The nearest book store being roughly eighteen miles outside of my 'sphere of influence'* meant I needed a new way to get a book fix at 3am when the roommate refuses to indulge me and my fear of any and all sounds in the apartment ever, and thus he obliged me. And it is awesome and I spend SO MUCH MONEYS on books and get NO SLEEP, but he does get sleep and that's what matters to him.)

*Sphere of Influence: Anything outside of the fifteen-miles or so radius from my apartment that encompasses the base and the downtown drinking area; anything beyond this circle necessitates an iPhone open to Google Maps balanced on a leg as I drive along. No interest in being another Magellan here.

Man. This kid sure spends too much trying to keep me entertained, considering string and sticks are both plentiful and mostly dirt cheap in these parts.

So now I have a cluttery setup, which will be rectified at some point when I can figure out what bits of desk flotsam I actually need to keep (statements, education stuff, official documents from the military that have my social security number ALL UP ON THEM) and what bits I can toss without fear of identity theft or needing to prove I graduated the first grade (uninstalled anti-virus crap, old coasters, apple stems.) But as it goes with new toys, I had to had to had to hook it up and try it out, and fair warning, I am SO not good at the computer/graphic arts, and now you all are subject to watching me struggle along and try to learn how to not make everything look like I drew with my feet. Feet in which I had arthritis before my diabeetus necessitated having them amputated, and now I have to hold them in my hands and try to draw that way.

This is how I repay people who dare to invest hope or cash in my skills:
So let that be a lesson to you all.






3 comments:

  1. I instantly gave that comic voices in my head, and I am confident they are *very* accurate.

    As to committing to a specific schedule, I feel like you'd be making a contract you may not always want to keep. Kind of like (ahem) the Air Force. Maybe one week you decide you don't want to write anything, and then literally dozens of your blog followers will be disappointed. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Literally dozens, oh lawl. ;D I know it's then tying me to something that I'll effectively be owing strangers on the internet, but I fear if I don't update semi-regularly, people won't check this except when I corner them and make them do it. ;P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pfft, I checked today without prompting just to see how the weekly update was coming along...

      Delete