Friday, July 6, 2012

Art Dump, Life Update


 Art tends to come in all-out phases for me. An old friend of mine used to attribute it to my zodiac sign; she'd nod knowingly at my pages and pages of comics or fan art or tattoo designs (of which the dragon above falls, surprisingly) and draw parallels as to how ram-like my run-run-run-ohshitawall-KEEP-RUNNING behavior was, and I couldn't really argue (aside from astology being absolute hokum, I mean.)

This phase was the tattoos and flash art phase, and fittingly enough was the same year The Roommate took me to get my first tattoo, which was also my first tattoo design.


This is why it is imperative to find not just a talented artist, but a *smart* artist, kids; she wisely talked me out of both the cliched scroll AND the Chinese characters. While you'd think someone who had been trained by the military to understand a foreign language for 63 weeks would be less likely to get a screwed up, incorrect or even crass foreign language tattoo, off the top of my head I can name such a one: a guy who flipped two characters' places in a four-character phrase, which are pretty common in Chinese culture, which he would also have learned through the course.

Thanks to his inattentiveness, his "寧 為 玉 碎" or "níng wéi yù suì (colloquially, death before dishonor)" became "寧碎 為 玉 " or rather, dishonor before death.



This week has been choppy and left me feeling a little like one of those dreams where you're juuuuust drifting off and then you TRIP on a curb and TWITCH your silly butt awake. This is what happens when a federal holiday squats in the middle of your week, I imagine, and while it must have happened at least once before in my twentyCOUGHcough years, I don't remember it. 

What I did remember, however, was DEADLINES!!! prompted by the story I posted last time. That particular zine is headed up by a kid I used to babysit (and who was nice enough not to point out that I did manage to outgrow my awkward teens finally, as he seemingly skipped his and records albums now) and two of his compatriots, and while it does ostensibly accept short stories in the form of flash fiction, the last couple of issues have been all poetry. Which, if that's your bag, by all means, but it's not my scene, jelly beans. < the most poetry you will ever see me do.

But while sonnets and slams are out of my ken, they also troll for high-contrast black and white art, and while I'm about 80% sure it's not just my former charge exhibiting some nepotism for his elders, I *did* manage to get a picture published as the back cover on one issue:


So I'm currently running about with my hair on fire, trying to figure out 3-5 black and white pictures for an issue entitled "Kisses for Fishes." And while they stress that there's not a thematic requirement, well, I imagine you'd be pretty confused if you were told about a magazine of poetry that had 'something to do with fish?" and yet, when you went looking for this volume, the cover was, say, Ninja Turtles fan-art / character design:


So I'll let you know if that happens... but wouldn't it be fun if you knew because you got published too? Seriously. Submit some brilliance, people.

6 comments:

  1. I know a few people who got foreign language tattoos, and it never seemed to work out exactly right. That was a good call. Additionally, I have no brilliance to submit; all my artistic ideas stall out someplace between my brain and my crayons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then use the written word! Check that submission link, they do look for people who can turn a phrase. ;)

      Delete
  2. When I was coming up to 18, I knew I wanted to get a tattoo. It took me three years of getting recommendations for tattoo artists, and then looking in their flash books (I am not an artist!) to find something I loved enough to carry around forever. Found it when I was 21 and got it done - it's still my favourite today (I have 5 now).

    My second tattoo... well, it wasn't such a sensible decision. A friend got her first in a caravan at a bike rally, and when she came back full of endorphins I caught a contact high and all but ran to the caravan to get myself my second tattoo. I flicked through the flash books briefly, found the first thing I didn't hate, and said "I'll have that one!"
    "Where?"
    "Uh, on my shoulder!"

    I'd chosen from a flash book titled 'Japanese', a character which it said meant 'To rock'. (Yes, I was still very young when I was 21, shut up.)

    So I got my second tattoo. It was as poorly executed as it was poorly chosen. Once all the endorphins had worn off, the well-deserved shame settled in :) I spent most of the next 15 years telling people who asked about it that it meant "I am a fucking idiot, who has something tattooed on him in a language he does not understand."

    When I was in my mid 30s, I was telling this story to a girl in a bar, and her Korean friend turned around and said "Show me it, I'll tell you what it means". So I got my top off in the bar, as you do.

    Behind me, the deafening silence of someone who is very definitely not saying something. :)

    I turn around, and she looks quite worried, so I remind her that I've been telling people for 15+ years that it says I'm a fucking idiot, so if it's worse than that I'll be impressed.

    She hesitantly says "It's Chinese, not Japanese. It doesn't exactly mean 'to rock'...", and sort of waves her hand around in the air as if she's being indecisive. I watch this for a second and then it clicks.

    "Does my tattoo say 'to wobble'?"
    "Yes."

    I kind of love it now. It's still bloody terrible, but at least it's hilarious. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what? That is acceptable, because you owned that decision. The worst anecdote I have regarding foreign language tattoos is once again some Chinese characters (sigh) that a lady had grouped together onto a blue and red ying yang, which to my cursory knowledge, is Korean. She swore up and down that her Chinese tattoo artist said the characters said "son" and "daughter." I replied no, no they didn't. Then her story was that a Chinese guy told her the characters, and then she took them to an artist.

      Still not 儿子 or 女儿, which are pretty distinctive even in long form. I had my dictionary in my bag and via stroke-counting, discerned that the characters didn't make any sense- one meant sandy or irritant, another was literally an "ah" sound for emphasis...

      Then her story changes to, well, she GOOGLED "son and daughter Chinese characters," printed out the first thing she found, and took that on down to a non-Chinese tattoo artist. We googled that phrase, and found the same characters: some lady had gone to Chinatown in San Fran and had her kid's names translated phonetically into Chinese characters.

      Lady had some other lady's kids' names tattooed on her tramp stamp area.

      She was not pleased.

      Delete
  3. Reminds me of my tard neighbor who got the symbols for marijuana inked onto his shoulder blade. I took one look at it and said, dude you're missing some strokes. What it really says is nothing, it is not even a character, that is just fancy scribbling on your back there. He was not amused.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Relevant! I met a girl at the tanning salon who had a mess of Chinese all over her back, and "marijuana" was one. Backwards. Under what she described as "inner strength." Which, loosely translated, might be "内力" or "internal force."
      However, "肉力," while similar in appearance...

      Delete